Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Traveling Teacher

The weekend was a crazy new experience for myself. It took me to Atlanta where I got to spend 3 days writing and re-writing to get my topic for my dissertation approved.

At the end of it, you needed a 70 to pass or to be marked as "on tack and prepared to move forward." If you received an 80 or above, it was a huge compliment and meant you were so on track that you were to the point where they would want you to be if you were submitting your entire dissertation.

I finished with an 82. I was really proud of myself.


My dissertation in it's current form studies the relationship between completing a continues and complete visual arts curriculum and literacy.

Studies and my research show that kids that have visual arts are capable of more including being a literate reader as well as being able to answer and support higher-order thinking questions.

I'm very passionate about this because English literature and art are so intertwined and so often, that's forgotten. In many ways my own kids are an example of the place of art and creativity in a language arts classroom because they do well on tests.

In many ways I am an example of how a fluid education between both curriculum creates highly-able students. I would not be as good of a teacher as I am if I did not have my art background as well as the cultural background I have from my art degree. It exposed me to a million different things and in many ways because of those experiences have made me think differently and thus, teach differently.

As great as the weekend was, it has left me so incredibly tired. I am fighting hard to get through today and tomorrow before we're off for teacher's convention.It was also really cool to stay in the hotel that The Hunger Games movie used for scenes of The Capital. It was also nice to have someone clean my room everyday and fall asleep all by myself in a huge king bed. I did miss Phil and the animals though, it was even nicer getting to come home to all of them.

My next adventure will take me to Chicago, which is so exciting...I have never been, but I have always wanted to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment