Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Search for Mr. Fabulous: Gifts from the Universe

When you're out there looking to meet the right guy you have to date your way through all of the sludgey toads that cross your path. So, that when you do meet the one, the only Mr. Fabulous, you not only know beyond a shadow of a doubt, but you also appreciate him for all of the wonderful things he does for you that the icky toads never did.

And in the interim, there are guys that the universe gives you as little gifts along the way. They can be the guy that on your worst day just stopped and held the door open for you, or the guy that complimented you when you least expected or if you're really lucky the guy that just takes you out. These little gifts sort of help to restore your faith that he is in fact out there and that no matter how crappy you may feel or even how lonely and frustrated you become, that Mr. Fabulous is out there, waiting to treat you all the time like these little gifts do and that he too is looking for you just like you are looking for him.


I entered the land of dating again last week. I sort of loathed the entire idea. I absolutely hated it to be honest. I mean how many dates and relationships can you go through? That end bad? That hurt you? Like when do you just say enough? I was to that point, but my best friend from college wasn't going to let that happen so she created an online dating profile for me.

Which lasted until last night, but that's a different story. Today's story is about a gift from the universe in the form of a guy. He was older. He was very educated, travelled and cultured. He was on my level which after dating a kid for the past year, it just felt really nice to be out on a date with a grown up. He took me to a crazy expensive restaurant and I ate amazing seafood. The date was awkward and it was clear we both were not meeting Mr. and Miss Fabulous that night, but it was nice to talk to someone who was interested enough in me to take me out and ask me questions about travel and about my life.

And it was even cute for the week that we were talking and he would text me each morning in Italian and I would answer him in French. I know, totally gag worthy, but after this last relationship go-round, I really just needed that awfully cute yet clearly over-educated stuff. I craved it, someone showing an effort just for me.

In the end, it was okay when we both stopped texting. It was never going to be a great romance, but for me it was a little gem that gleamed into my life and reminded me that he is out there...somewhere.

It reminded me of nice it feels to be courted as opposed to having someone chase you down to try to  "hookup" with you to see if it "goes anywhere." That's the big difference I have found between guys my age and men in their thirties, older guys don't even think that that bs hookup culture is how you go about a girl that you like and want to pursue.

And I just love that!

 I know that I'm going to get over all of the bad I have felt even though I am never going to get an apology or even an admission that what my ex did was wrong, selfish, manipulative and absolutely hurtful. It's cool though, it seems the universe has got this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment