Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Book Review: Julie & Julia by Julie Powell

I have to admit, I saw the movie about a thousand times before I actually got around to reading the book. I even let my students watch it the last couple days that I was teaching French this year. I loved how the two stories went together and I love seeing Julia and Paul Child in 1950's France, it was great.

I hadn't planned on reading the book until I found it in the dollar store, to be honest. I liked Amy Adams Rom-Com version of the real Julie Powell and I kind of wanted to hold onto that.

Overall, I liked her memoir. It was fun and Julie Powell became more realistic, instead of perky Amy Adams. Julie Powell is harder, more sarcastic and a lot less bubbly and I guess that fits because when her story begins she's married, pushing thirty and beginning to feel the ticking of her biological clock.

Insert many vodka gimlets, cigarettes, meltdowns and full-blown realizations as she works her way through her self-imposed blogging project where she cooked her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

I liked it in that I identified with it. I'm nearly the age she was when she wrote the book, so I guess I get what it is like to realize your 30th birthday is closer than your 20th and that you better start getting on with it before you're stuck in a life you didn't want, in a job you don't like with looming possible infertility problems and the anxiety that you have to figure it all out and soon. 

And so, she creates a project and a blogs about it like we all do and thus Julie & Julia is born.

In the end, I could have done without a lot of the whining and self-absorbed moments, but I guess we do all have them. And if you have a blog you then blog about them. I should probably thank her for making me more self-aware of that.

Score: 3.5 out of 5
Book Information: Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell is available for purchase with ISBN 9780316109697 via Back Bay Books/Little, Brown and Company. It was originally published in 2005. 

No comments:

Post a Comment