Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Day That Was

Ever had one of those? I had the one to end all of them today. There was a bomb scare in town today. It was scary. It was close to where I work. It was like my worst fears coming true and after the week we all had with Boston and really the year, including Sandy Hook, it's an absolutely terrifying world sometimes. I don't want to get up one morning and die at my job, I think that's become one of my bigger fears after the year that we have all lived through. It's been a lot.

So there was that.

And then as I get to lunch, I just want to sit on my phone and eat my food. I don't want to talk to anyone. I'm tired, I'm grumpy and really, what a morning that was. But, people love to talk to me. Broken people gravitate to me like I am the mothership of all that is broken and lost in the world. It can be human and it is even animals too.

I once had a guy that I dated tell me that it is because it is very calm and peaceful to be around me. Being around me is comforting. I guess, I mean that guy turned out to be a total looney tune so I guess he would be able to tell me why I am the epicenter of the lost, the broken, the crazy, the damaged and even those that are just different.

Today wasn't anything new. I'm sitting at lunch and sure enough this elderly woman moves to sit across from me. Within a minute, not even, we go from talking about life abroad to how she moved with her husband to Sweden and for 27 years loved him, raised his children and lived there with him, teaching. That is until one day he decided that he didn't love her...after 27 years...and goes off with the woman he decides he does love. And she's just too broken to watch him be with her so she leaves. She leaves the life she built, her children and even her grandchildren and comes home to substitute teach because no on wants to hire her here because she's too old and has too much experience that no one wants to pay for.



She made me glad that I have pretty much decided that I am just one of those people that don't have someone out there in the world. I'm one of those alone people and that's both relieving and even enlightening when I hear stuff like this. Craziness.

And as if that wasn't enough, there was a kid in my class today that is somewhere on the autism spectrum. I felt probably Aspergers. We were BFFing over the past couple of days and he would always ask me for help so I would help him.

Today he realizes that it's take your child to work day tomorrow and thus this conversation follows:

Child: "Tomorrow is take your child to work day and if you're still our teacher then that means you'll bring your kid! And we can meet them!"
Me: "Oh. It is isn't it? Well that's sweet, but I don't have any children."
Child: "Well, I hope that time comes for you soon."

Ma, have you been talking to my students?

No comments:

Post a Comment