Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Book Review: The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

I really have nothing nice to say. I got the jist of this book within the first hundred pages: class and race struggle sucks and no matter what you do you're invisible. I felt like it then just droned on for 500 more pages about that.

I found the nameless protagonist to be immature, annoying and really spineless on more than one occasion. I felt like he was a dumb kid that was vastly unaware about many things, including life and then sort of just got thrown into and out of the struggle in Harlem. By the end, I didn't feel any sympathy for him nor did I care that he felt the need to live underground. He lacked any redeeming qualities.

I apologize to any future class I teach this to.

Score: 0/5
Book Information: The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison was republished by Vintage in 1994 with ISBN 978-0679732761.

No comments:

Post a Comment