Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Book Review: Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

My Valentine's Day gift this year was a rose bush for my garden and a copy of Stephen King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I read the book over the course of a week. The stories were quick, just eerie enough and played to his earlier works in the short story genre. In some ways, a few read like a Tales from the Crypt episode, but as a big fan of those as well, I really can't complain.

Some stories dealt with the ideas of alternate realities, similar to the recently finished Hulu series, 11-22-63. However, the most rattling story in this book is Afterlife that chronicles the experiences of a man who dies a slow, painful death from cancer who then gets to experience all of his mistakes again and again as he moves through similar experiences in his after life. It gave me the chills reading it. As I turn 30 this year, well at this point, it's only 4 months away, I have become obsessed with the idea of my own mortality. This really hit home for me.

Outside of that, some references and things did go over my head, revealing that King is an older writer now and unless you are over the age of 40, you might miss out on some of King's nuisances. 

Final Score: 3.5/5
Book Information: Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King with ISBN 1501111671 published by Scribner on November 3, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment